For several decades the Jewish People's Institute (JPI) on Douglas Avenue served as a major community center for Chicago Jewry, recognized nationally for its successful educational, religious, vocational, and recreational activities. The JPI was founded on the Near West Side as the Chicago Hebrew Institute and followed the Jewish migration to North Lawndale. Hebrew Theological College (HTC) was founded in 1921 as an Orthodox center for higher Jewish education. It attracted a faculty of eminent scholars from around the world. HTC moved to Skokie in 1958.