Following the 1871 Great Chicago Fire, German-speaking Jews began moving from downtown to the Near South Side. They later moved further south to the Grand Boulevard, Washington Park, and Kenwood-Hyde Park areas. They built facilities to care for the sick (Michael Reese Hospital), orphaned (Chicago Home for Jewish Orphans), and aged (Drexel Home). Many belonged to the Reform congregations Sinai and KAM. Until World War II, this was the most affluent Jewish community in Chicago, with members who attained success in the meatpacking, garment, and mail-order industries.