You are here
Spertus Closed for Christmas Holiday
Spertus Closed for Christmas HolidayWednesday, December 24, 2014 to Saturday, December 27, 2014
Occasionally in the past, Spertus Institute has been on open on Christmas Day. This year, however, Spertus will be closed to give our staff a well-earned break.
Looking for something to do? Here are some suggestions:
- The Eleven City Diner (not kosher) is open 8 am to 8 pm on Christmas Day, both at its original location in the South Loop at 11th and Wabash and in Lincoln Park at Clark and Belden (where the old Belden Deli was located).
- MetroKlub (kosher) at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro Hotel, 733 W. Madison (near Greek Town) is open for lunch on Christmas Day.
- Milt's BBQ for the Perplexed (kosher) at 3411 N Broadway is open until 1:30 am to 10 pm on Christmas Day.
- The Lincoln Park Zoo is open every day, year round.
- Many locations in and around Chicago's famous Chinatown will be open.
We also suggest you can contact your local JCCs to check for programs and events.
Name That Tune
Wouldn't you know it? Turns out a lot of those holiday songs you've been hearing over and over (and over) again on the radio were actually written by Jews! Here's a list of the top Christmas songs penned by members of the Hanukkah crowd.
- Winter Wonderland, lyrics by Felix Bernard (born Bernhardt).
- Silver Bells, music by Jay Livingston (born Levison) and Roy Evans.
- I'll Be Home for Christmas, by Buck Ram and Walter Kent.
- Let It Snow, by Sammy Cahn and Julie Styne.
- White Christmas, by Irving Berlin. The Bing Crosby version of this song is the best-selling single in history.