You are here
Resources in Adult Jewish Learning
Resources in Adult Jewish Learning
The Lookstein Center for Jewish Education: Adult Education Resources
The Lookstein Center for Jewish Education of the School of Education at Bar-Ilan University was established to promote Jewish education in the Diaspora. It focuses on leadership programs, teacher and curriculum development, as well as interactive communication and networking for Jewish educators worldwide.
The Florence Melton School of Adult Jewish Learning
With its international headquarters at the Florence Melton Adult Mini-School Institute of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and a national office for North America in Northbrook, IL, the Melton School forms an international network of community-based schools offering adults the opportunity to acquire Jewish literacy in an open, trans-denominational, intellectually stimulating learning environment.
The Wexner Foundation
The Wexner Foundation focuses on the development of Jewish professional and volunteer leaders in North America, and public leaders in Israel. The Wexner Heritage Program is a two-year Jewish study experience with an additional focus on leadership.
Jewish Educators Assembly
Forum for the exchange of ideas, programs, and materials conducts professional development seminars, workshops, and activities to establish and maintaining high professional standards; recruits qualified individuals for Conservative Jewish educational positions; and enhances the development of Jewish education in congregations, day schools, community organizations, and national agencies.
- Aron, Isa. Becoming a Congregation of Learners: Learning as a Key to Revitalizing Congregational Life>. Woodstock, VT: Jewish Lights Publishing, 2000.
- Caffarella, Rosemary S. and Sandra Ratcliff Daffron. Planning Programs for Adult Learners: A Practical Guide>. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2013.
- Goodman, Roberta Louis. Adult Jewish Education Handbook: Planning, Practice and Theory>. Denver, CO: A.R.E. Publishing, 2004.
- Grant, Lisa. A Journey of Heart and Mind: Transformative Jewish Learning in Adulthood>. New York: Jewish Theological Seminary of America, 2002.
- Katz, Betsy Dolgin. Reinventing Adult Jewish Learning>. Jersey City, NJ: Ktav, 2014
- Merriam, Sharan B. and Laura L. Bierema. Adult Learning: Linking Theory and Practice>. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2014.
- Schuster, Diane Tickton. Jewish Lives, Jewish Learning: Adult Jewish Learning in Theory and Practice>.New York: URJ Press, 2003
- Bloomberg, Linda Dale. "How a Learning Community Enhances Individual Learning in a Graduate Distance Education Program." Journal of Jewish Education 74, no. 2 (May 2008): 181-200.
- Brown, Erica S. 2003. "'An Intimate Spectator': Jewish Women Reflect on Adult Study." Religious Education 98, no. 1: 65-81.
- Brown, Erica. 1996. “Jewish Adult Education: Creating an Educational Democracy.”> Article originally appeared in Ten Daat 9,no. 1 (1996): 63-77.
- Burstyn, Joan N. "Adult Jewish Learning: Then and Now." Journal ofJewish Education 60, no. 2 (1993): 10-13.
- Grant, Lisa D. "Adult Jewish Learning: What Do We Know? What Do We Need to Know?" Journal of Jewish Education 71, no. 2 (2005): 179-200.
- Grant, Lisa D. "Connection and Caring: The Role of Educational Leadership in Adult Jewish Learning." Religious Education 99, no. 2 (2004): 167-184.
- Grant, Lisa D. and Diane Tickton Schuster. “Adult Jewish Learning: The Landscape.” International Handbook of Jewish Education II (2011) : 669-689.
- Grant, Lisa and Diane Tickton Schuster. “J Learn Over Time: The Paradox and Potential of Adult Jewish Learning>.” UJA-Federation of New York, November 2009.
- Grinberg, Wendy. “A New Age for Adult Learning.” eJewish Philanthropy May 26, 2014
- Isaac, E. Paulette. "Expanding the Boundaries of Adult Religious Education." New Directions for Adult & Continuing Education 2012, no. 133 (Spring 2012): 83-87.
- Katz, Betsy Dolgin. "Creating A Learning Community: It Doesn't Just Happen: Case Study of the Florence Melton Adult Mini-School." Jewish Education News 19, no. 1 (1998): 26-29.
- Kaunfer, Elie. “Toward Adult Jewish Literacy>.” eJewish Philanthropy May 3, 2010.
- Kupchan, Judy Mars and Dr. Bernice Lerner. “Boundary Crossers: Adult Jewish Learning Summit Explores Collaboration>,” eJewish Philanthropy Nov 16, 2014
- Mangel, Jennifer. "Professional Development for Jewish Service-Learning Professionals." Journal of Jewish Communal Service 87, no. 1/2 (Spring2012 2011): 138-145.
- Mareschal, Teresa L. "Adult Jewish Education and Participation among Reform Jewish Women." New Directions for Adult & Continuing Education 2012, no. 133 (Spring 2012): 59-70.
- Marienau, Catherine and Taylor, Kathleen. "Engaging Adults' Experiences in the Learning Conversation", September 2015.
- Paley, Michael. "Jewish Education as a Tool of Engagement." Journal of Jewish Communal Service 85, no. 1 (2010): 43-48.
- Pomson, Alex. 2005. "Franz Rosenzweig and the Elementary School Teacher: A Midrashic Re-Viewing of an Experiment in Adult Education." Journal of Jewish Education 71, no. 3: 261-277.
- Rosen, Gladys. "Raising the Level of Adult Jewish Learning." The Pedagogic Reporter 40, no. 3 (1990): 8-11.
- Ruppin, Gabriela. "Perspectives on Adult Jewish Education in a Progressive Context." Journal of Adult Theological Education 3, no. 1 (April 2006): 61-74.
- Sarna, Jonathan D. "Education: The Cyclical History of Adult Jewish Learning in the United States." The Jewish Role in American Life 4, 141-161.
- Schuster, Diane Tickton. "Developing Musically, Spiritually, and Jewishly All at One Time: Jewish Choral Activity as Adult Jewish Education." Journal of Jewish Education 77, no. 3 (2011): 168-195.
- Tauber, Sarah M. "Teaching Through Personal Stories: Congregational Rabbis And Teaching Adults." Journal of Jewish Education 79.4 (2013): 432-452.
- Teutsch, David A. "Building Bridges: From Learning to Living: An Evaluation." Journal of Jewish Communal Service 80, no. 2-3 (2004): 180-188.
- Woocher, Meredith L. "Education: Jewish Learning, Jewish Lives: Reflections on the Contemporary American-Jewish Experience." The Jewish Role in American Life 3, (2004): 143-169.
- Woocher, Meredith L. "Texts in Tension: Negotiating Jewish Values in the Adult Learning Classroom." Journal of Jewish Education 70, no. 1&2 (2004): 22-31.
- Zachary, Lois J. "Participation in Adult Jewish Learning: Some Implications for Strengthening Jewish Identity and Continuity." Journal of Jewish Communal Service 71, no. 2/3 (1995): 234-242.