You are here
The State of Israel
The State of Israel
Learn more about the state of Israel through these suggested resources:
Books available in the Asher Library
- The Israel-Arab Reader: A Documentary History of the Middle East Conflict. Walter Laqueur and Barry Rubin, Eds. New York:Penguin Books,1995.
- The Land of Israel: Jewish Perspectives. Lawrence A. Hoffman, Ed. Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame Press, 1986.
- Herzl, Theodore. The Jewish State (Der Judenstaat). New York, Herzel Press,1970
- Laqueur, Walter. A History of Zionism. New York, Holt, Rinehart and Winston,1972
- Sachar, Howard Morley. A History of Israel: From the Rise of Zionism to our Time. New York: Knopf, 1976.
Journals available in the Asher Library
- Hadassah Magazine
- Israel Affairs
- Israel Studies
- Israel Studies Forum
- Journal of Israeli History
Spertus Digital Resources
- Read a brief essay on the State of Israel by Dr. Victor Mirelman, Professor of Jewish History at Spertus
- Beyond Distancing: What it Means if American Jews Detach from Israel— Hear audio from an important symposium held at Spertus on May 17, 2009. Keynote speaker Dr. Ari Y. Kelman was joined by panelists Elisa Albert, Dr. Michael Kotzin, and Carl Schrag to explore the intricacies of this issue.
- Day After Night — Hear audio from May 23, 2010, when Spertus welcomed bestselling author Anita Diamant to Chicago to discuss her novel, Day After Night. Diamant shares her research and exploration of Day After Night’s subjects, including stories of reinvention that begin in the horrors of the Holocaust and span the early history of Israel.
- Resurrecting Hebrew — Hear audio from December 14, 2008, when Spertus welcomed author Ilan Stavans, who shared the stirring story of how Hebrew was transformed from a dead language to the living tongue of a modern nation. Stavans raises important questions about the role language plays in Jewish survival, questions that explore the origins of Israel and the idea of a promised land.
- English text of the Declaration of the State of Israel
- Facsimile of The Declaration of the Establishment of the State of Israel
- Online access to The Jewish State from Project Gutenberg