You are here
Executive Assistant to CEO & CAO
Executive Assistant to CEO & CAO
Executive Assistant to CEO & CAO
Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning & Leadership, headquartered in downtown Chicago, seeks an Executive Assistant to the CEO & CAO to support senior leadership during a time of institutional growth and change.
About the Opportunity
Spertus Institute offers dynamic learning opportunities rooted in Jewish wisdom and culture. We promote personal growth, train future leaders, and engage individuals in the exploration of Jewish life. High-quality academic programs and public events are part of the Institute's nearly to one-hundred-year tradition. This is an exciting opportunity to work in our award-winning Michigan Avenue venue as you help propel Spertus Institute’s mission into the next century!
About the Position
In this position, you will join a growing team as we enter Spertus Institute's second century and implement a forward-looking strategic plan. This position is well suited to a highly organized, emotionally intelligent, and motivated professional. The Executive Assistant (EA) will be an integral part of a staff team that is hard-working, passionate, and committed to making positive communal change.
The EA will be a critical partner to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Chief Academic Officer (CAO), helping to ensure they are effective leaders and serving as their first point of contact with key stakeholders including colleagues on the executive team, staff, volunteer leaders, and major donors. The EA will proactively manage their calendars to ensure their alignment with top priorities.
The EA must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and be comfortable managing shifting priorities to completion even when the path is not self-evident. This individual will possess the capacity to manage sensitive communications with discretion, confidentiality, and diplomacy. The EA will also support the operating needs of the Executive Team and the Board of Directors through scheduling, material curation, note-taking, and ensuring follow up.
This position is onsite at Spertus Institute. Evening and weekend work may sometimes be necessary.
Maximizing the CEO and CAO’s Time
- Provide professional administrative support to the CEO and CAO including heavy calendar management, and follow-up for internal and external meetings.
- Ensure CEO, CAO, and Executive Team are thoroughly prepared for all meetings and events, proactively staying ahead of their calendar, in close coordination with other colleagues as needed, in order to provide relevant and timely information to the CEO and CAO.
- Serve as both gatekeeper and gateway to the CEO and CAO, creating win-win situations for direct access to their time.
- At times, reach out on behalf of the CEO and CAO to staff and external stakeholders, ensuring clear communication and follow through as needed.
- Take the lead on arranging and adjusting detailed travel plans, when relevant, creating itineraries and anticipating and proactively managing changes as they arise.
- Join the CEO and CAO’s meetings as needed with direct reports, Board members, community members, and stakeholders to capture action items and ensure effective follow up and project-managing to ensure their completion.
- Compose and prepare correspondence that is at times sensitive and confidential.
- Proactively identify opportunities to better maximize the CEO and CAO’s time, supporting them to ensure completion of competing prioritized tasks.
Supporting the Leadership Team and Board of Directors
- Collaborate with the CEO and CAO on matters that relate to staff and Board of Directors’ operations, including assisting with management and execution of both in-person and virtual meetings.
- Partner on a range of special projects, oftentimes playing a project manager role to steward projects along and coordinate amongst team members.
- Support the Institute’s fundraising and awareness-raising work, partnering with development and program team staff members to coordinate, prepare for, and follow-up on meetings, events, and speaking engagements.
- Attend Board Committee meetings and other meetings as needed, and take notes, ensuring action items are appropriately flagged and followed up on.
- Prepare all materials and make arrangements for all meetings.
- You have experience providing excellent administrative support to Chief Executives of an organization or company.
- You are a solution-oriented program solver who demonstrates their own leadership.
- You have exceptional organizational and task management skills, with the ability to prioritize competing tasks and commitment to follow through.
- You anticipate needs and think through projects across different streams of work
- You have strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- You are proficient with Microsoft Suite, Teams, and CRMs.
Compensation, Benefits, and Work Environment
- Salary Range: $60,000-$70,000
- Attractive Benefit Package includes vacation and paid sick leave; medical, dental, and vision insurance; retirement savings/401K plan; employee assistance program; early Friday closures; and Jewish and secular holidays.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Please note that Spertus Institute requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination status for employment.
WHY WORK AT SPERTUS?
Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership is a nondenominational institution of higher Jewish education, proudly based in Chicago and increasingly serving students around the world. Its offerings include graduate degree programs in Jewish Studies, Jewish Education, and Jewish Professional Studies, as well as a range of sophisticated professional and public programming.
Founded in 1924 as Chicago’s College of Jewish Studies, Spertus Institute today offers dynamic learning opportunities, rooted in Jewish wisdom and culture and open to all. These opportunities enable personal growth, train future leaders, and engage individuals in exploration of Jewish life. Spertus Institute is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. It is guided by core principles that inform its operations and programming. Mission and Core Principles >
For Spertus, this is a time of exciting opportunity and growth. Tied to a new Strategic Plan, we are building our standing as a leading center for thoughtful and relevant applied Jewish learning, with programs that address current and emerging needs. About to enter our second century as an academic institute with renewed vigor and vision, we are expanding the Spertus team to achieve ambitious academic and global expansion goals.
What is it like to work at Spertus? Here is what our staff has to say.
In our most recent employee survey, 9 out of 10 employees agreed that:
- Their work contributes to the organization’s mission, strategy, and goals.
- They have what they need to be successful in their roles.
- They are comfortable asking for help from others on their team.
- They have confidence in the leadership of the organization.
- Spertus demonstrates care and concern for its employees.
If this is what you would like to be saying about your workplace, Spertus just might be the place for you.
Spertus Institute provides equal opportunity in all employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, ancestry, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other category protected by federal, state, and local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, promotion, transfer, disciplinary action, layoff, return from layoff, training, and social and recreational programs. All such employment decisions will be made without unlawfully discriminating on any prohibited basis.